It’s about you
What do we look for in an employee and co-worker?
A balance between work ethic and kindness. This is a tough business, but we don’t want to make it tougher by our own actions. Kindness and acceptance of all combined with good technical skills is a recipe for success that has served us for many years.
Our Core Values
- Guest Loyalty
- Continuous Improvement
- Community Involvement
Our Benefits – we are proud to offer all qualified employees:
- Paid time off for all FT staff, both exempt and non-exempt.
- All employees have access to Sedera (a non-insurance community-sharing approach for catastrophic coverage) and Direct Primary Care – a membership-based health care model for most peoples’ health care needs, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- W&S pays 100% of full-time employees Direct Primary Care if they are enrolled in Sedera. A stipend towards Sedera is also provided.
- FT employees are also eligible for an Individual Coverage Health Reimbursement Arrangement (ICHRA) contribution if Sedera and/or Direct Primary Care don’t meet their needs.
- FT employees are eligible for Dental, Vision, additional Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Accident & Employee Assistance Program.
- FT employees have access to the company’s 401k Retirement Plan after 1 year of service. W&S will match 100% of contributions up to 1% of the employees’ compensation, plus 50% of contributions from 2% to 6% of the employees’ contributions. Matching contributions are funded after each payroll.
- 50% dining discount for all employees
- ServSafe test opportunity for FT BOH staff and all Managers
- DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) – summer of 2021 for 8 months – open to all staff. Emotional Intelligence Training is next…
- Company-wide volunteer opportunities
- Annual employee appreciation celebration
- And more to come as we continue to strengthen our culture.
Our Mission and Vision
Create a better place to work where people feel a sense of satisfaction and personal fulfillment
Westmoreland & Scully (Corner Kitchen & Chestnut Restaurants) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
About Corner Kitchen & Chestnut
Corner Kitchen is located in a 125+ year old Richard Sharpe Smith Victorian House where the parking is FREE!. We handcraft our food using as much local produce and proteins as possible. We touch on many of the cuisines found throughout this country. Open 7 days a week for Lunch from 11am – 3pm and for dinner from 5pm on. Located at 3 Boston Way, 28803.
Located in the heart of Downtown Asheville, Chestnut offers our take on hand-crafted food and cocktails. Our palette is best described as Southern American with a variety of ethnic twists. Our menu changes monthly and features a wide range of local and seasonal produce and proteins. Open 7 days a week for Dinner only starting at 5pm. Located at 48 Biltmore Avenue, 28801.
Are you a creative cook? Do you like handcrafted food?
*Schedule your interview today! Benefits and PTO begin after 90 days – PTO accrual begins on day 1! Plus you get a shift meal!
Pay – Starting rate of $18/hour (or more depending on experience)
Job Duties include:
Setup, run and breakdown dinner service.
During service, cook, assemble and plate dishes – menu changes seasonally and specials are created each day & evening.
All cooks are part of the creative process, especially the Lead Line Cooks
Follow sanitation and restaurant standards while being part of “the team”
Starting Rate: $50,000/annually (or more depending on experience)
The Sous Chef is responsible for the smooth operation of the kitchen during any service in which he/she is working. That includes good, positive relations with the Front of House staff as well as strong support and interface with the Kitchen crew. This is a working chef position, which means that you (usually) will be working a station as well as doing your supervisory tasks.
Under the direction of the Executive Chef, General Manager and the Owners, and in accordance with the values and policies of Westmoreland & Scully (W&S), this position serves as a key role in not only the kitchen but the entire restaurant. Your performance helps create an exceptional experience for all guests and staff. This position functions as a leader of the back of the house culinary team and provides leadership, work direction, training and coaching to all the members of the cooking staff. As an agent of Westmoreland & Scully, you are expected to comport yourself with a high level of dignity and friendliness at all times. All your interactions should reflect well on yourself as well as the company. You should be actively promoting our brand in all your communication, within and without the confines of the operation.
Principal Responsibilities/tasks: The following description of work to be performed by this individual is not intended to be all-inclusive. Rather, it focuses on the major tasks that must be accomplished. There are many necessary activities to satisfy any of the following performance guidelines.
- Ensure that you and all kitchen staff adhere to proper food handling and sanitation practices. This includes hand washing, good grooming, hair and beard nets, and gloves when appropriate. This also includes checking and maintaining safe food temperatures for cold and hot “holding” food.
- Monitoring and maintaining par stocks requirements, including but not limited to food ordering, storage procedures, security and stock rotation to maximize product freshness and quality and minimize loss due to damage, spoilage and other factors contributing to product loss.
- Ensuring the safe and thoughtful receipt and storage of all foodstuffs. FIFO!
- Maintaining a clean and tidy kitchen space, leading in “line sweeps”, ETC.
- Executing special events as needed.
- Making certain that all required food is in stock, and if needed do whatever is needed to get the required product(s) in a timely manner.
- Making certain that all prep items needed are completed, during and at the end of the “day shift”, using prep lists + “checking out” all personnel.
- Maintaining a positive base of customer relations and to ensure that the cooks and dishwashers are using good manners and behaving properly toward guests and coworkers.
- Assisting in the counseling of employees to help correct actions and behaviors that are non-productive.
- Making sure that the recycling area is kept neat and tidy.
- Other responsibilities as given by the Executive Chef, GM and Owners.
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent
- Four or more years of professional experience with a background in food-related business
- Proven experience in management and organizational skills
- Must have demonstrated ability to communicate well with others, be a team player and have excellent strategic leadership skills
- Servsafe Certification
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
- A service-oriented individual with a high energy, positive and friendly demeanor.
- Must have knowledge of all basic culinary processes, techniques and principles.
- Competent in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Familiar with basic restaurant accounting principles necessary to help manage food cost, labor cost, department profitability, etc.
- Excellent human relations and management skills.
- Oral Communication Skills
- Written Communication Skills
- Math Aptitude
- Organization Skills
- Time Management
- Must be able to see and hear
- Must be able to speak clearly
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for up to 10 hours
- Must be able to walk up and down stairs
Excellence in this job will create:
- Greater Regional knowledge of Westmoreland & Scully – our services, core values, mission and vision
- High satisfaction of guests
- Engender guest loyalty (locals and tourist alike)
- Teamwork and cohesive relationship between FOH and BOH
- Your personal growth in the community and world
- The enhancement of your career
- Kitchen environment – hot tools, plates, areas, sharp knives, swinging doors, climbing up and down stairs
- Exempt status
- Dynamic schedule can vary from week to week; work required on weekends and holidays and must be willing to work 45+ hours per week, as needed.
Questions, please email us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org